Total Pageviews

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Parenting is HARD... so much to worry about... part one

One of my biggest worries as a parent is about when my little munchkin princess grows up and becomes a teenager. I know there were personally a lot of things I did as a teen that my parents couldn't have done a thing about- well, short of chaining me to the kitchen table. I'm not saying I was a bad kid. I didn't get in much big trouble, just normal stuff... bad grades, talking back, lying... the stuff I imagine most parents deal with. But I did have some parties with my friends, and I experimented with drugs (nothing crazy), drank a little alcohol, and had premarital sex.

My first instinct when I started thinking about all this, was that I should just get over it now, because it's just what people do when they are in their adolescence, and I should just not worry about it until I get there. Then, I had a revolution! Why should I just accept all that as ok? And how is waiting until I can't do anything about it going to help anything. Of course, she is going to make her own decisions, in the end, but I'm pretty sure there are steps I can take to set her up for successful decision making.

I was definitely not gifted with good decision making skills, and sometimes I think my moral compass is set to True South, but I do the best I can. Awesome Guy, on the other hand, has wonderful decision making skills. Once in a while, when I look back, it seems like there's a short in my system somewhere between my reasoning section of my brain, and the emotional section. But either way, I'm blessed to have such a great man in her life to help me guide her in the right direction.

One thing I intend to do is to make sure I have a good relationship with my girl. Right now, we are about the center of each-other's universe, which is where we need to be. My life revolves around taking her to the potty, planning balanced meals, and making sure she has plenty of social interactions. And her life revolves around doing everything like mommy, trying not to take naps, asking for snacks, and begging me to take her to the park. But what happens when I have less control of her world and her priorities? I hope to keep talking, asking questions, and trying to instill that she should always be absolutely comfortable at home and around her family. After all, we are going to love her no matter what. I just want to make sure I always fight for our relationship. I am going to do my best not to lose sight of it.

I have just decided to make this a multi part installment. I'm not sure how many parts it will end up being, but I'll try to pepper in some recipes and other less serious stuff.... If you guys have any suggestions or requests about what you would like to read about, just let me know in my comments below!

Peace and thoughtfulness!!
Flower

1 comment:

  1. It's NEVER too early to start thinking about these kind if things, and the influence you have on her life now is molding her and shaping her for those ever so delicate teenage years. She is developing her personality and moral values now, even at age 2. Do everything you can to build your relationship with her now, and she will always know she can depend on you! You are a great mom Lacy, keep up the good work!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete