Total Pageviews

Monday, April 2, 2012

B is for... Biscuits, Bloggers, and Bettie!

This post is brought to you by the letter "B".
 Also, the number "0". As in, I have made 0 Biscuits that have looked anything like biscuits since college. It seemed that when I had an instructor over my shoulder, and a grade on the line, I made great biscuits. Now that I'm trying to make them for my family, they always turn into fail biscuits. They are flat every time, even when I cautiously fold in the wet ingredients (since I learned with my fancy half of a culinary degree that flat biscuits are caused by over-production of gluten, which generally means you over worked your dough.) They generally taste fine, but they're ugly as homemade sin. Ugh, it is very frustrating. Do any of you have a fool proof recipe that turns out fluffy biscuits EVERY time? Please, for the love of all that is beautiful, polka dotted, and sparkly in the world.... please leave the recipe in the comments below. Seriously, I'll try about anything. My friends are starting to make fun of the fact that I'm trying so often, but I am determined to turn out some awesome biscuits.

On to Bloggers! Now, I what I am about to show you may shock you, you may fall out of your chair with utter disgust, but this is what a blogger REALLY looks like, or at least what I look like on a semi normal basis...
 I hope none of you got puke on your computer... I'm seriously harmless... usually. But this is how I usually start, and sometimes still look like at dinner time. I still wear my aprons, just over my t shirt and jommie pants.

But this next picture is what I hope you guys think I look like. Because, ideally, this is about how I look in my mind. Cute makeup, pretty dress, nice hair, and pearls. And for the record, the apron didn't come with the dress, they just coordinate soooo well, I had to take this pic!
But seriously, cute dress, huh?


My last "B" subject of the day is Bettie Page!I am pretty crazy about her. I named my daughter after her, (her middle name is Page) and I have TONS of stuff with her on it. Magnets, T shirts, and posters... galore! I don't have her all over my house like I do Audrey Hepburn. I worry that people will get the wrong idea of me, also, it's not always so kid friendly. The shirts are ok, but I don't think my daughter needs to see pin up models every day. Here are my posters and a shot of my fridge with the magnets.

 I know this one is blurry, but just so you get the idea


And this one is kind of dark, but again, you get it.







Anyway, this concludes my B post for my A to Z challenge, come back tomorrow and we will check out what pops outta my brain for the letter C!

9 comments:

  1. I love biscuits. But I can't make them either. Nice to meet you on the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm Loving the Dress-----I want one like it in Turquoise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I got it at Mariposa in the White House for $17! What a steal!! It is actually from the 60s, so it's right up my alley

      Delete
  3. your great grandmother Anna Mary made wonderful biscuits and could not keep them on the table; her secret was room temperature buttermilk and lard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I called Aunt Beck and she had a lot of helpful tips from Uncle Jimmy's momma, but I told her that Dad recommended her, and if her tricks didn't work, heads will roll. She said she would ship me to Mississippi to learn from the Biscuit Artisan herself if it didn't work, haha.

      Delete
  4. The only wet ingredient in my biscuits is cold butter, I'm going to dig out my recipe and see if I can't help you out! Everyone needs a good biscuit in their life.

    And seriously, that dress is super cute, you make it look good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! And I would ADORE you if you would please try to give me that recipe. I am pretty desperate.

      Delete