Total Pageviews

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

I is for... Imagination

... as in, I don't have an imagination. I really don't. when I was a little girl, I couldn't play with Barbies very long because I felt silly making them talk to each other, because in reality, I was just talking to myself, and I knew it. That lack of imagination has now bled into my adulthood. When I play with the kids around me, I always sound like such a jerk. For instance, my kid was stomping around a few months ago saying "When I grow up, I'm gonna be a giant, mommy!" I informed her that it isn't possible to be a mythological creature when you grow up. Awesome Guy was appalled. He told me not to crush her dreams like that. I wasn't trying to be mean, just realistic. Anyway, I don't think there is anything wrong with not having an imagination, but I always kind of wished I had one.

Peace!

Flower

6 comments:

  1. im the exact same way... so dont feel bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm like that too. And I don't think there is anything wrong with kids learning when things are impossible. It's not like you are saying "you aren't smart enough to be a doctor". Crushing a realistic dream bad, rooting a child in reality good

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bug -- you do have an imagination -- imagination is one facet of creativity and you most certainly are creative; what you are talking about here is that you are inhibited in your ability to "suspend disbelief" and in the human creature that recognized ability is relatively new which is why fiction is relatively new -- nothing to dis yourself for -- in fact it is an important survival skill to be able to see what is there and not mistake what is fictional for what is factual.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just because you are a realist doesn't mean you don't have imagination. When you would stay the weekend I had to prompt you and sometimes lead you in imagination, but you always came thru. You have always been creative which takes imagination, your just more cautious, which can hold you back. Express yourself the best YOU can and stop comparing to others......Your Special in Your Own Way!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Imagination is not make believe, but creativity. Your post was creative, very different.

    I could never play with dolls either for the same reason. Keep rockin' in your own way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well maybe I DO have imagination, guess I was the only one that didn't know... I always try to make up lands for A... like, maybe we will be talking, and I will start telling her the flowers are talking, and the Sun just needed to sleep a little more on a cloudy day, so I guess I'm doing a little better. But as far as a future occupation for the kiddo... I think I am going to encourage her to be a Rock Star, because logically, the odds of her becoming famous are waaaaay better than her becoming a politician... just sayin!

    ReplyDelete