Total Pageviews

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

D is for... Delicious dinners made with the man of your dreams

 My daughter won't eat bread, I'm not sure why, but it is making lunch tough for me because we are broke, and when you're broke... sandwiches are the way to go for lunch. She basically just eats the meat and cheese out of it, as she doesn't like condiments on her sandwiches or burgers, either.
 So when I asked for some help on my Facebook, the response was overwhelming. One of my aunts suggested using other types of whole grains like brown rice, and barley. And a friend said I should just try whole wheat tortillas for quesadillas and roll ups. All of the suggestions have been a complete success!

Well, last night I decided that I was going to make something with brown rice and chicken. I was worried the chicken in my fridge would go bad if I didn't use it soon, so I decided to make stir fry with brown fried rice. This is how it turned out:

It was Delicious! Awesome Guy helped me, and it was just... nice. Nice to be spending time doing something that easily turns into a chore night after night, with someone I love. And nice to have conversation that isn't so pointed. 

I also made something else awesome! Breakfast Pizza, which I will tell you how to make, since it was so easy, and you most likely have most of the ingredients in your fridge, anyway. Since I learned that Bisquick biscuits are generally kind of flat, I decided to make the crust with it, since it is pretty quick to throw together. I just mixed it using the biscuit recipe on the box (2 1/2 cups Bisquick and 2/3 cup of milk) Then I rolled it out and put it on a well oiled pizza pan. I pulled it out to the edges to make sure it fit. It was more than enough dough to cover a normal sized pizza pan. Next, I threw it into a 425 degree oven until it was golden brown on top. 

While it was baking, I fried some bacon (4 slices), reserved the grease, and scrambled some eggs in the pan that still had residual bacon grease in it (I used 2 eggs, but next time, I'll use more since I wished there was more on the pizza!) Then, I put the 2 T of the reserved bacon grease back in the pan, along with 2 T of flour to make the roux for the gravy, which will become your pizza sauce. Now ad about 1 1/2 c of milk and stir it in really well so there aren't any lumps, nobody likes lumpy grave, but if there are a few, it won't matter that much because it's going on your pizza... no need to be a perfectionist!

By now, your crust should be done, if not already cooling. Pour your gravy over the crust and spread it out until it is about 1/2" away from the edge. Now top with scrambled eggs, and crumble your bacon on top. cover with shredded cheese (I used cheddar, but that's what I had on hand, you can use whatever you have) and slide the pizza back into the oven. Bake until all your cheese is melted, since all of your other ingredients are cooked already. This is what mine looked like:

The beauty of this recipe, is that you can use whatever you already have around the house. Sausage would work great, as well as ham! If you make it, be sure to come back and let me know how it turned out!

Peace, Love, and Delicious food!!!
Flower

4 comments:

  1. Where are the instructions for the stir fry!? You started with that then trailed to something different. :( but the breakfest pizza looks great. Imma try that when i have money!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Basically for the stir fry, I had this packet with instructions... lol, which were, brown your chicken, and chop it into strips or chunks, then cook some rice (it doesn't have to be brown, but its part of my new initiative to get A to eat whole grains). Next put some oil into a pan and stir fry some veggies (I had a bag of stir fry veggies in the freezer already). Now in a separate pan, put the rice, some oil, and some chopped onion in it and fry it up until the onions are translucent. Now add the packet, 2 T of soy sauce, and the veggies and chicken. All done! It takes some prep, but comes together pretty quick! Sorry, dude.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The pizza looks GREAT!!
    Best of luck in the challenge!
    Cheers
    CW3
    readysetyoubet.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yum! Both look very good. And how nice to turn something everyday and routine into a special memory just by spending the time with someone you love. That sounds wonderful :)

    Anna@ Herding Cats & Burning Soup

    ReplyDelete